(The following information taken from the Royalton Round-Up Booklets, 1993 &1995)

THE HISTORY OF THE ROYALTON POST OFFICE

Isaac Snider was a progressive farmer in the Six Mile Township. His farm was named Osage Farm after the Osage Hedge which the Department of Agriculture recommended be used as fence. Stagecoach was the mode of transportation in that era. Mr. Snider was a regular refreshment stop for them. He would exchange a cold drink and water for the horses in return for some news of the railroad's progress being built over in Tamaroa.

There weren't any clothing slores so Mr. Snider decided to build a store in Osage and secure a post office.

In late February of 1856 the store opened. On March 6, 1856, The Osage Post Office opened its doors.

In 1890, Robert Dixon and his son James M. Dixon opened the second store in Osage. The post office was moved into this store with James M. Dixon as postmasler. The people of Royalton and Pierce went to Osage for their mail.

The Osage Post Office was moved to Pierce, IL on May 18, 1906 and became Pierce Post Office. Ada Pierce was the postmaster.


It remained there until May 24,1910, when it moved to Royalton, IL and became Royalton Post Office. This first Royalton Post Office was located just north of where the fire station is now, in the 400 block of South Main St. It remained there until the early 1930's. At this time it moved to 301 South Main St. where the Royal Bouquet flower shop now stands.

On July 25, 1959 the new building for the Royalton Post Office was completed and dedicated. This is the same building from which the present Royalton Post Office now serves 530 post office box customers and 170 rural route customers.
Below is a list of the past postmasters, interim postmasters and present postmaster with their induction date.
Name
Ada Pierce
Henry H. Pierce
George Searles
George Searles
Gustav A. Klann
Newbern G. Stone
William Browning
Joseph R. Hudelson
Guy M. Martin
Henry H. Pierce
Henry H. Pierce
James T. Livingston
James T. Livingston
John S. Browning
John S. Browning
Miss L. Maxine Manering
Lincoln A. Hardcastle
Dorothy M. Missavage
Dorothy M. Missavage
Laura L. Depolo
Title
Postmaster
Postmaster
Postmaster
Changed to ROYALTON
Postmaster
Postmaster
Postmaster
Postmaster
Postmaster
Acting Postmaster
Acting Postmaster
Postmaster
Acting Postmaster
Postmaster
Acting Postmaster
Postmaster
Acting Postmaster
Postmaster
Officer-in-Charge
Postmaster
Postmaster



Date Appointed
05/18/1906
10/04/1907
11/18/1909
05/24/1910
05/24/1910
06/29/1912
12/11/1912
01/07/1914
12123/1916
07/07/1919
04/01/1920
06/05/1920
05/01/1927
12/15/1927
10/16/1933
03/18/1935
10/15/1945
07/02/1947
07/16/1975
01/03/1976
12/30/1989

 

 The Post Office in Pierce moved to Royalton to better serve the growing town. Mail reached Royalton via a star route from Mulkeytown.
The postmaster in the 1920's made $1,000.00 a year in salary. Postage to mail a letter cost 2 cents.
Have things changed? Yes! But not the service; it has always been good.